When it comes to commercial gym equipment, it’s usually a general term for weight machines, hammer strength, functional trainer, plate loaded and etc. Each of them is likely to cost a lot, but it’s hard to judge its real quality. Frustrated, right?
We have gone onto the factory floor and interviewed the experienced designers and workers who actually make the equipment, to provide you with the most comprehensive strength training equipment guide that you will never find anywhere online.
So, let’s dive in.
1.Buying Tips on Gym Equipment
- Check whether there is an R&D center to design its own strength equipment; talk with the designers about design concepts.
- Ask designers at the R&D center if they usually work out with gym equipment. Designers who do not work out with gym equipment should never design any strength training machine.
- You should try the fitness equipment yourself. You need to experience the following three aspects:
- Whether it is smooth to use.
- Whether specific equipment is activating your targeted muscle group.
- For converging and diverging equipment, whether there is a peak contraction experience.
- Know about the specific treatment methods applied to the surface.
- Check if the surface is smooth to the touch.
- Take a hard metal object, such as a key, and scratch the surface of the equipment in order to see the adhesion of the surface coating.
- Pipe standard: ask the supplier about the standard of this pipe. In China, for example, you should expect fitness equipment pipes to meet Q235 standard.
- Pipe Size: Look for 40mm x 80mm and above for the length and width of the frame pipe, preferably with 3.0mm in thickness.
- Treatment: bending production procedure is preferred over cutting and welding.
- Check the thickness of the raw material, not the the painted tube.
- Ask the factory representative about the treatment methods, as well as the theoretical basis of the connection.
- Check the thickness of the connecting plate and the strength of the screw.
- Press the seat firmly with your thumb or apply a specific instrument to measure its density level.
- Smell: Check whether there is any pungent smell.
- Tactile impression: Touch the surface by hand and confirm the tactile impression.
- Density: Observe from the cut/side surface and check its stomata; the more stomata there is, the lower the density and quality.
- Thickness: Check the thickness of the material; the thicker, the better;
-Seat Support Plate
- Check the material used. Generally speaking, ABS is better than iron board and plywood.
- Check the appropriateness of the match between fillings and support plate.
- Adjust the seat several times to check whether it is easy to use. After adjusting the seat, sit on it and shake to test its stability.
- Material: Determine the material used and assess whether it is appropriate based on our comparison chart.
- Stability: Make the pulley rotate and observe whether it wobbles.
- Determine the material applied and assess whether it is suitable according to the comparison chart.
- Check whether the pulley and CAM are smooth when used.
- Use the machine and confirm whether its design is in line with the principle of movement.
- Check the thickness of the cable; the thicker it is, the more solid the cable will be.
- If you buy for commercial use, never be cheated by manufacturers who apply home use material to industrial equipment.
- Ask about the maximum load capacity along with fatigue test report and check the results.
- Meet the standard ISO20957: Check whether there is a certificate of ISO20957, which means the equipment has passed the International Organization for Standardization.
- Stability: Try to push a pin-loaded machine to check if it is stable. On machines like the Lat Pulldown, select the maximum weight, then suddenly loosen the handle to see if the device is still stable.
- Total net weight: subtract the weight plates; the heavier, the safer.
- Overall structure: the surface of the fitness equipment pipe should be free of any protrusions so as to avoid injury.
- The edges and corners of the surface should have a radius r ≥ 2.5mm. They should also be free of burrs and make use of round corners.
- tube ends: All the tube ends should be in the accessible hand, and the foot area should be closed off.
- You should be able to stop the motion at any time.
- The weight selection pin should be fitted with a holding system to prevent accidental change or movement during exercise.
2. General Manufacturing Process
The manufacturing process refers to the steps through which raw materials are transformed into a final product. Familiarity with this process will put you in a stronger position as you negotiate with the rep or inspect the factory. The more expertise you have, the greater your ability to buy the best products at the best price in this industry.
3. Top Manufacturers List
So far in this article it has become obvious that quality equipment judgments require checking out the machinery in person. However, it is not always possible to personally test equipment prior to purchase. How can you confirm the quality in that case?
The best way is to have a credible brand list to refer to.
Over the past ten years, I have been working with the top commercial fitness manufacturers in China.
Here is my list of the 10 best:
- Body Strong
In this article, Yanre Fitness has revealed many tips and ideas to help you to make the smartest fitness equipment buying decision. By applying them you can avoid being cheated by inferior strength equipment manufacturers and delight your members with premium quality machinery.
I hope you found this information helpful.
What other equipment would you like purchasing guidance on?
Leave your comment below. I’d love to hear from you.