Anti-ageing make-up rules
The 10 commandments!
1. Avoid traditional powder make-ups at all costs!
They sink and settle into crevices and amplify lines.
2. Use nourishing creamy, liquid or gel formulas.
They make the skin appear more hydrated and ultimately younger.
3. Avoid anything matte
It only draws attention to facial flaws. Instead, choose light-reflecting formulas, as they diffuse light, creating the illusion of a bright and even complexion.
4. Less is more
It may seem counterintuitive, but overly made up skin looks older. Spot-conceal problem areas and concentrate on making the rest of the face appear fresh and hydrated.
5. Apply foundation with a brush or sponge
This creates a light airbrushed effect and ensures it won’t look cakey.
6. Use Nix powder blush in favour of a cheek gel or cream
Apply it higher up and along the cheekbone rather than smack bang on the apples.
7. Steer clear of dark or matte lip colours
They make the mouth look small and dry. Opt instead for a creamy natural beige, soft pink or nude tone.
8. Swap severe dark shadows for softer eye make-up
Brighten the area with a creamy, light base colour and then add a wash of a flattering satiny colour. Again, avoid any products that are too powdery or matte.
9. Switch your harsh black liner and mascara
Use softer colours like brown, grey or plum.
10. Don’t underestimate brows!
Thick, natural and lightly filled brows are flattering and youthful.
- Revlon Age Defying Makeup with Botafirm, $39.95
- L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift Serum Foundation, $39.95
- MeMeMe Cosmetics Foundation Brush, $35.95
- Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow, $50
- Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Cream Blush in Pink, $52
- Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Colour Luminous Lip Gloss in Rose Créme, $30
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Zero Smudge Lengthening Mascara in Brown, $48
- Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color in Rose Brown, $44
- Benefit Brow Zings, $55
Photo credit: Thinkstock