How to get toned arms like Cameron Diaz
Want gorgeous arms, just like actress Cameron Diaz? PT Natalie Carter shows us how.
Amazing arms come from dedication to training, healthy clean eating and doing the effective exercises below; you, too, can rock that racer back singlet for summer. Work your arms two to three times per week and it’s more than attainable.
Clean eating tip:
Hormonal fat is generally stored on the backs of the arms. To help stabilise hormone levels, consume walnuts and add extra virgin coconut oil to salads or smoothies. Also only purchase BPA free storage containers when storing leftovers. Chemicals found in plastics have been known to disrupt hormonal balance.
Tricep dip (triceps/back)
1. Sit on the edge of a chair.
2. Place palms down, shoulder width apart, fingers grasped over chair edge. Keep feet flat, knees bent to 90 degrees, back straight.
3. Slowly wiggle butt off the chair and slide your upper body down the chair, keeping your chest and head up at all times.
4. Bend your elbows to 90 degrees, keep your butt close to the chair at all times, and slowly return to start position. Repeat.
How many: Aim for three sets of 12 to 15 reps.
Push up: (chest/arms/core)
1. Place hands shoulder width apart, shoulders directly over chest, up on toes.
2. Bend elbows to 90 degrees and slowly return up. Use arms and chest to push back up to start position.
3. To make the exercise more challenging, balance both feet on top of a Swiss ball or medicine ball. The unstable surface means more muscle activity in the chest, arms and core area.
How many: Aim for three sets of 15 to 20 reps.
Lateral raise (shoulders)
1. Stand tall, navel to spine, with dumbbells or soup cans (whatever you have access to) in your hands, which are by your sides.
2. Raise weights out until they reach shoulder height; try to keep arms straight with a slight bend in the elbows while you initiate the movement from the shoulders. Feel the burn!
How many: Three sets of 12 reps.